Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Nope. Sorry. Not going to. Don't have to anymore. And the current webmaster seems to agree.

I'm sorry if I kind of helped to derail the Dangerous Dogs thread after a couple of people brought up the subject of pseudonyms. I don't want to have to retype all of my points again so go have a look at my posts there (apologies again for the formatting in the first one).

Allow me to elaborate (and maybe reiterate) a bit.

Let's say you join an internet forum and make what you consider some valid points/arguments.

At best your well honed arguments are misconstrued and/or ignored, you maybe get a few names and insults thrown your way. Absolutely nobody debates their position, your points, or moves the conversation on in anyway. Stonewalled. Maybe some people are so offended by your right to air your point of view that they cancel their subscriptions. Or suggest that nobody respond to you. Who really cares? Lighten up. It's The Internet.

At worst, you maybe really offend some psychopathic narcissists. The sort of people with a "How dare you challenge my world view/I know who you are/where you work/live" approach to confrontation (let me state right now for the slow of thinking that I am not calling anyone on here a psychopathic narcissist). You know the type. They won't respond to reason (google it). Maybe you've dated one or two?

Do you still think it's sensible to insist on using real names on a publically accessible website?

Should anyone who has to wear a name badge at work be barred from on-line discussion?

This should be (ooh, hang on, it actually is) a public internet forum about Dover. Not a private members club. If you want that kind of thing maybe there's another way you can do that on-line? An invite only facebook page perhaps? I know the old (frowned upon by some on here) Dover Locals used to have some subsections that were invite only. Maybe that could be arranged here?

end link