Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Paul Watkins wrote:
    Howard, what was being discussed was not a Unitary as the topic heading describes. Good old Reg & I believed that an East Kent Unitary was the best solution for the area & meant the demise of KCC & DDC. Both he & I had been KCC members saw & experienced the way this area really did not fit into the KCC agenda. Keith will no doubt agree. Nigel C in his tenure also saw the same picture. Some who get elected go native & enjoy the gentlemens club atmosphere. They become detached from the public who rarely know who they are or use them. I could go on but local government needs reform. KCC is too detached & distant & DDC too small to be properly resourced.

The wider Unitary is the solution & maps our local economies of East Kent.

In the meantime we have KCC elections & need to see who will represent us in an effective way whilst it still exists.

The alternative from KCC supremo Paul Carter is abolish all District/Borough Councils [12] in Kent & let KCC rule all directly from Maidstone. That is the model he is currently touting around Westminster.

Although I support an East Kent Unitary, I think you are fooling yourself if you think it is KCC who are too detatched. There is mutual disdain between the populous of Deal/Sandwich and DDC however KCC have actively supported many local initiatives like improved rail services and youth services.

end link