Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Paul the Top left of the Union Flag nearest the flag pole has the wide white stripe uppermost.. Take a look at the pictures above and you can see the wide white stripe on the left hand side (nearest flagpole) faces uppermost. Now I do not know if you are from the South or the North of Ireland but you would not see the Irish fly their flags upside down?

Apparently when a National flag is flown upside down it is a sign of being in distress.

Jan you are right to a certain degree about it being just material and what it represents is the important thing. Certainly when I was in the army raising and lowering of the flag was always done correctly and with respect.. You always got the flag the right way up and you never let it touch the floor and if you got it wrong you could look forward to a couple of extra guard duties, but I do believe we did call it both the Union Flag and the Union Jack.

end link