Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Harry good point,I do come from a mining family,although my Dad was in the Navy,and although I applied to join the NCB,never found work there,so I worked on the fields and then joined the Railway,my ex father-in-law and my Uncles were all down the pit,every Town and Village in the area had the miners buses.My old village of Woodnesborough had them on the way from Ramsgate I think.

I grew up in Sandwich but spent most of my time in Eastry,running the Youth Club,playing football,bowls,and in the 5 bells,they had thier mining area,traditionally Mill Road,as Deal had Mill Hill.
    Although Dover had its miners and lots of them I don't think we had one area that was a'mining area' like Circular road Betteshanger,I do not hate the miners statue,far from it,and I am proud as a working man that it is in Dover,but it was not built for here and when you consider where the pits were it is in the wrong area,Deal seafront is fine,but Fowlmead is better because it has been rebuilt from the slag heaps of Betteshanger,and it would stand on the new Miners Walk to remind the people that what they are standing on was worked by men just like that.

end link