Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

You could be right Keith, I think for some it is a case of out of sight out of mind.

All this about it should be at Tilmanstone, Betteshanger, Snowdown, & Chislet that is where they all worked not lived, probably just as many Miners lived in the Dover and Deal area as did those in the mining villages.

How many buses went out three times a day to collect and return the miners to Dover and Deal as each shift started and finished?
    How many pubs in the area were thought of as miners pubs because most of the customers were miners?

I do believe that some who hate the miners statue are those that disliked the community spirit the miners had of standing together.

I also wonder how many of the haters ever went down a coal mine to see what conditions they worked under. Of course there should be a memorial on us being a sea faring town but does that stop there being one for a miner.

Mind you just thought of a good idea, put it next to Mrs Thatcher's statue in the Houses of Parliament that would wind a few up.

end link