Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Howard (for once) is correct! It is for a council to deal with the stuff that might stop people visiting a town centre which includes lighting, seating, state of pavements, anti social behaviour, fly tipping.

The High Street will only survive when it provides things which we can not get on-line. Cinema, gym, micro pubs, nail bars, gyms, tattooists, hairdressers, dog parlours, cafes are just some of them. We are social animals and the High Street needs to become a place of social interaction. I could add doctors and dentists to the list. Accommodation above shops and also replacing some shops means the streets are not left to ne're do wells at night.

It's only when footfall reaches a critical level that things like a much needed Tesco Metro (other brands are available) will follow as sure as night follows day.

Rents are a matter for the 'market' and unfortunately, as long as we continue to tax income rather than capital I can't see there's much a council can do.

As for business rates, it would be unfair I would suggest for a council to reduce these for businesses which just happen to be in a designated 'High Street' while leaving them 'high' in a similar shop 100m away? Would we be encouraging 'zombie shops' just as we have 'zombie businesses' hanging on in there due to artificially low rates of interest which would be better closing since they are not actually providing anything that people want at a price they are willing to pay? Would some shop keepers actually be better off pulling the plug before they do something silly like re-mortgage the house again, hoping like Micawber, that something will turn up?

I wish there were simple solutions. If there were the country would be full of thriving High Streets. It is'nt.

end link