Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Bern, I agree that it is not necessarily about working for the taxpayer, but a sense of identity and belonging. It is the lack of trust, responsibilities and investment in people that outsourcing forgets. As Barry says 'It is easier to sack a contractor who fails to meet his contracted requirements than an employee these days' and it is this abuse that filters down to the workers, that subsequently don't care for the work they do. The likes of Sir Titus Salt and the Lever brothers realised the power of looking after their employees and proved it is actually more in their interests as a private employer. However when fulfilling a contract AND trying to make a profit this investment is not made financially or emotionally.

Having worked in the private sector and the public sector I feel that it is a sense of purpose and recognition for my work that is important, when your employer is taxpayer (and not someone with more money than they need), I think there is even more obligation to do a good job. And who is this Public Sector Bull?

Barry your example of the Ghurkhas as outsourced manpower is priceless. Just exposing the contractor mentality: 'Get them to do the work, cheaper cost, less benefits' Why support the Ghurkhas and not the employees of our port?

end link