Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

So whats your point Brian? Are you actually going to discuss the points raised and explain why you think what you do. Its easy to pour scorn without placing a reasoned debate or argument.

Howard these are just brief outlines so, yes - some is vague. For detail you need to go to the document itself, as you say they are discussion starting points.

I am aware of the answers to a couple of points you raise. The local police control and public presecution service. We would elect a person to be the local 'sherrif'. They would respond to local demand as they would be subject to re-election.

County Councils as a larger boundary would be better suited to local sales taxes. Add to that locally collected and locally spent Council tax and Business Tax we have a better system of local Government funding enabling greater LG independence. Exactly how the tax collection powers between the layers of local Government would work is another matter. The sums as a whole work out though and that is a good starting point.

On the NHS, no we cant opt out now. Those of us who pay Private Med insurance are not opted out, we pay twice. There are a number of ways this could work but I think it is important to recognise to co-dependance of private and NHS medicine. I would provide a gesture to encourage greater take up of of PMI (no I dont sell it) by allowing tax relief on contributions. At the same time I would work a system by which there are seamless services between NHS and the Private sector that would benefit patients as a whole.

I do think that there is more room for more direct democracy. You are right that if done wrong it would be a problem but done the right way it would be a great benefit.

end link