Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Good morning to you all,
    After a lot of thought, and even before the recent ban, I have decided to call it a day, and unlike Mr matcham's announcements on standing in elections this will be my last post, and I wont be looking in/replying.

To explain my decision I would like to just go over a few things

In Paul B ownership I was encouraged to post, in reply to a dominated conservative at that time, which I did, and like now the politics posts were the most popular.
    The conservatives at the time were critical of the labour party at that time that labour people were not allowed to post, all total tosh, as throughout that time I posted as did a few other labour people from time to time.

What was amusing was that having explained at the time, that labour cllrs didn't want to post as no matter what they might say, they will be attacked by forumites, not in a productive way.
    And no sooner had the conservatives gained control of the council that they were all ordered to stop posting,thus we just have a couple who post now.

Although the forum hit a sticky wicket when a lib dem (Mr Hook) wanted to challenge freedom of speech the whole thing got blown up on local radio, and did little justice to Dover forum.

Over the years I have defended/supported/contributed/posted on the forum, I have defended the moderators when they were right, and up until recently that most of the time has been in supporting them.

I didn't support the banning of Barryw under Paulb although I understand his reasons, Unless abusive etc I don't feel the forum should get into banning.

Over the years I have replied to/given alternative views to barryw rarely we were of the same mind, but this didn't stop the two of us respecting each others views, and we could be seen at that time in blakes over a pint, none of it was personal for me, and quite happy to go for a pint with barryw!

The forum over the years produced a large number of threads and those threads that I had an interest in I posted on and others I left to other forumites to post on.

I have agreed/disagreed with a number of posters over the years, which is healthy for a forum, and I believe what the forum should be all about
    Also it made the forum a lot more interesting to have such a wide range of subjects.

I would like to thank all forumites(even those that chose to abuse or to disagree with me)

Without mentioning everyone, there were a few I probably had common ground on;

Martin p, gary c Lesley, and at times I thank you when you agreed supported my viewpoint

You will note that I also started many threads including one on Dover football club, whom I have a passion for, and some at one time even attempted to ridicule that had it been another poster who started the thread im sure that wouldn't have happened.

So I now move to today, Over the past few weeks I have been considering whether to continue posting, I have been the target for some, which I don't find a problem, but the lack of some posters consistentcy on other posters is hard to understand.

We then saw UKIP come onto the scene and I have never objected to this as any party should use all avenues open to them, and although UKIP got off to a bad start in abusing everyone, it has gone some way to recognise this and you can see this doesn't happen, although it still has one member (keith b) whilst passionate for UKIP gives out mixed messages/ mavericjk statements, often not in line with UKIP policy and im sure he will recognise in time the damage hes doing to the local party by the maverick comments, all in all though I was happy to give an alternative view to UKIP
    whilst some may not have liked this, most of the attack came at me, which I again found strange.
    of course we had the more level headed posters(Lesley, gary c martin p) who may even have disagreed with me
    but did it in a fair minded way and unbiased.

Over the years I have worked closely with conservative Roger, and even on the forum we may have disagreed but I have always respected rogers point of view and freedom to hold that view.

Although over the years I have been insulted for links with the labour party, I left them years ago, and certainly as iv said on this forum wont be voting in the general election for a labour candidate that didn't allow both sexes to stand, its a strong viewpoint I hold, I have always fought for womens issues over the years, but you will find many dover district labour party women members share my view, but then go along with a national imposed decision, but clearly supported by the local labour party.
    so that's not for me.

I will vote labour in local elections, but only for candidates who I feel will benefit my ward, which is not the case at the moment.

we have to many councillors/councils and we don't see many of the councillors from year to year.

funny because at the election before last I campaigned for a tory in Ashford
    a labour guy in dover and an indy in the rurals. so just shows

Of course politics is in my blood, once you set out out like I did 25 years ago to help others, although it can be frustrating, the little wins you achieve outweigh the negatives.

On this I should mention as an example where Lesley as an officer of DDC got together a lot of communities across
    the District and put them on an NVQ in community management(I did this year long course) at the first meeting a lot of these community based people were hesitant on whether they would even survive the first two weeks.
    Most survived the whole year, and over the year I saw these people slowly flourish into community leaders, which throughout the year I encouraged, that was a great positive.
    Many are now community leaders n Dover but some have also moved away to other districts and continued to be community leaders in other parts of the country, all through this NVQ and giving them the confidence(thank you Lesley)
    I did laugh once when one of the tutors was a conservative Cllr in thanet, and lsley tried to find the right time to tell me lol
    I actually like all people got on well with him, and he later joined the KCC with me where we worked/got on together.

There are blinkered labour people(like all parties) I recall once speaking/having a cup of tea with paul w and the labour group was meeting, I got in there late, one of the labour members (Eileen rowbotham) said to all, do you know hes been talking to Watkins, I said yes, do you/anyone have a problem with that
    of course there was silence.
    because we may disagree on the political front doesn't mean we cant speak.
    There is always common ground,

So to the ban
    To be honest I did ask Paulb his view as I was interested in it, and should he want to he will post it
    Over the years it was shown politics is the most popular threads gets the most postings other subjects come and go.
    now its quite correct that a much varied list of threads should go on the forum, and iv always encouraged it, you cant make people post on other subjects, and there was at times resentment that people didn't post on other subjects.

I would never support moving subjects off the front page more so if they were the most popular, but the new moderator has to do what he feels to be right for the forum, and whilst I may not agree I respect(but don't agree) with his decision.
    I realise he will/can hide behind, others told me to, that's fine, and I do hope the forum survives.

I am a great believer in Dover forum and do wish it well.
    This post was a lot longer than I first set out to post, but felt it important enough to give a final view, which is what it will be, so there wont be any further replies
    Hopefully we can get the community activists together Lesley you can get my phone number form howard/paulb if you ever decide to do so, would be a great gathering.

Barryw if im ever passing and have time must have that coffee lol

Im also really busy at work and time is also a factor, and family life has changed drastically and although not a reason for leaving, it will give me more time for both
    I also chair the local community assoc so all add up to a busy life

Anyway good luck to you all

And good bye

end link