Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Interesting. I've definitely come across 2 and 5, definitely never 4 and 6. As for the others, I'd have to hear them to see if I recognised them - it's a bit like describing birdsong.

What I can say is that, after around 30 years, I despair of teaching my Dovorian sons how to pronounce the word 'world'. Where I come from (and I resist the temptation to say either "where I do come from", or "where I comes from"), the pronunciation is: 'whirled'. My sons and, from what I can make out, most other Dovorians pronounce it as any of 'willed', 'wield', 'weld' or 'wold'. For Pete's sake people, there's an r in it!

A couple of other things that catch my ear are: "motorway" - used to describe any dual carriageway, "take over" - to go past the car in front, "everywheres" - all around (and effectively the same as "anywheres"*), and finally a love affair with "I said" - as in the sentence "so I said to him, I said, well, I said..."

* see also "anyways".

end link