Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Is there such a thing as "the Dover accent"?

I think this is much more complicated than it used to be. There are several variants in my opinion.

(1) The old Dover accent, a more urban and less broad version of the rural burr I heard a lot growing up on a Kent farm. The legend that is Councillor Nigel Collor would be a prominent exemplar. Spoken by hardly anyone under 60.

(2) The "Dover yawl" - onomatopoeic, drawling and typically Kentish but more modern and urban version of (1) with little trace left of the burr. Another step towards a London influenced accent. Again spoken more by people of a certain age - probably too slow for frenetic 21st-century youth.

(3) Mangled mockney. A hybrid version of London and Kent. A broad church with some people speaking in a generic EastEnders type accent and a step further on in the Londonisaton process from (2). The drawling quality more or less gone.

(4) MLE/"Jafaican" - spoken almost exclusively by some members of ethnic minorities and a few pretentious white youths trying to look cool. Typical marker is the elongated "ah" sound that makes "eye" sound like "aaah" and gives rise to such examples as "Waaah-Faaah" for "Wi-Fi".

(5) An interesting, rarer and more middle-class variant spoken mainly by people in their 20s and 30s, seemingly more often female, that contains elements of an interesting reversion to a slight burr on some vowel sounds. Often accompanied by Australian-style rising intonation.

(6) Rarest of all - RP. Spoken by a tiny social "elite".

That's my take. And leaving out foreign accents, obviously. There may even be more subtle variants and sub-variants and mixtures of the above. Accents probably vary even from one estate to the next. I've heard there are people who can even pinpoint which street in London someone comes from by their accent, although I've never actually seen any evidence for this.

Dover certainly has a noticeably different accent from, for example, Thanet, where London influence is much more marked.

You can notice this slightly in Deal, which has flatter accent than Dover's slightly chewier version, and even, I believe, a little bit in Whitfield, where (1) is also marginally more prevalent.

end link