Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

I took an oul canter up to LIDL in Hawkinge last sunday. I actually didnt set out to go to LIDL but rather the Mayfly Pub which is across the road. They do a nice lunch there at reasonable cost and appear to be known for their pies. So thats what we had..pies...who ate all the pies?? well now you know!

The impression these supermarkets like LIDL and Aldi give is that they are cheap. No nonsense setups with a pile em high philosophy. You are hoodwinked into thinking you are getting a bargain..all the prices are carded up in the old fashioned way..black felt tip pen on cardboard but it seems to suggest to the gullible (me!)..BARGAIN!! and we all love a bargain dont we.

I bought a large jar of Nescafe Gold Blend which screamed out £5.08...so I thought, thats great, a good bargain.

Several days later while coming back from a small job with ColetteB on thursday...we nipped into Tesco on the gloomist grimmest day imagineable. It was mid-day so I though there wont be too much of a crowd about..WRONG!

The biggest crowd I have ever seen in Tesco was in Tesco. The first clue was we couldnt easily find a parking space..and then we went in and the world and his wife were in there. Where are all these people coming from. Rumour had suggested the Tesco takings were down 40% since the arrival of Morrisons, but looking at the crowds on dreary thursday..No! not so. But I hope Morrisons are doing well also as we need life in the centre of town. I dunno maybe these people in Tesco come from further afield..who knows?

Back to the Nescafe Gold Blend, bought at £5.08 a few days earlier in LIDL. I wasnt looking for coffee but what did I see...the same large jar for just £4. Yes £4...I was gutted. My bargain from LIDL wasnt a bargain after all.

After the shock of this we went for a light lunch in the Tesco circa 1955 canteen, rather laughingly called a restaurant. The canteen wasnt for me..its a grim place and boasted a selection of gloomy-faced customer who all appeared to be in the throes of contemplating the fine art of suicide...Gloomy, very gloomy..I left humming that old Elvis song for the lonely and desperate.."its down the end of lonely street and called..Heartbreak Hotel"

end link