Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

I once interviewed a guy, aged 60, for an IT Shift Leader job at a well known local ferry company. He had the right experience and qualifications, met all our job criteria and would have been a trememndous mentoring asset for the young shift teams.

Having given my recommendation to employ him to the HR Department I was summoned to be told that on no count would we be hiring anyone of that age. Their view was he just wanted to get a chunk of our pension fund. Despite an appeal, supported by the IT Director, the HR decision held fast.

I am delighted there is legislation against this sort of behaviour now, but genuinely feel it is ignored or just given lip service by those at the sharp end of recruitment. It would be a good start to changing attitudes if just asking the date of birth question were banned!

At the J D Edwards campus in Denver there is a large concrete plaque in the staff gardens (yep, you read it right) with a message from Mr Edwards, the company founder. It bears the inscription "Remember, grey hair is good when dealing with large complex systems". It was nice to see at least one company owner appreciated experience over a piece of paper.

end link