Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

An interesting reply Marek, thanks.

In Nigeria just about anyone who can, studies for a degree or qualification of some sort and it seems the Philippines are similar. However, the qualified in Nigeria cannot get work because they have no experience!

The opposite is the case here. Job adverts for even junior roles in the IT industry demand BSc's, MBA's, Red Brick degrees and so on. Consequently there are a huge number of vacancies going unfilled because the level of qualifications required has no real bearing on the role to be performed. Why would someone with a BSc for instance, want to take a project manager role (also requiring PMI/Prince2 qualifications) for the princely sum of less than £40k pa? They don't need to, and consequently don't. Ergo, the post remains open. We can guess how it will be filled, with labour from the sub-continent by governement policy.

What we are seeing is a culture of qualification for qualification sake rather than actual requirement to do the job. This in turn is fostering a culture of non-investment in staff development. UK management are hopeless when it comes to putting together career and training plans for staff, and that really needs addressing too. Culture change for managers is long overdue.

In addition, the CIPD needs to take a hard look at how it's members are advising industry and it wouldn't hurt for them to sit down with Government to discuss, and hopefully agree, a plan of attack to address the unemployment situation.

It seems to me radical reform is the way forward, allied to culture change at the highest levels, and a return to appreciation and support of vocational and on the job training. While we're about it, it wouldn't hurt to reinforce that lost word in employment circles "loyalty", from both perspectives, employer and employee.

However, the main concern remains as to how we address the culture of making work unavailable for the masses and refocus on maximising the available workforce at our finger-tips. The example given of no-hopers earlier I think demonstrates the wrong attitude towards people. Everyone needs to feel they a re making a real contribution and getting paid fairly for it. I'm not sure my reaction to those tasks would have been different if I am honest. UK managers still want slave labour, and that attitude absolutely has to change, if only to bring back respect for our fellow man/woman in the workplace.

Big subject this and looking forward to more contributions that hopefully will remain focussed on the subject and not drift into a political slanging match.

end link