Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Sid

You ask

What no-one seems to ask or want the answer to though, is why we find ourselves so dependent on migrant labour and what we can do to reverse that trend?

My wife is from the Philippines,she has a degree in Social Work and UK gained NVQ's in Adult Care.She works as a Deputy Care Manager in a residential home for the Elderly.A post that was vacant for 12 months as the home were unable to fill due to lack of "home grown" qualified applicants.

In Manila (alone) there are approx 7 thousand students training and studying in English towards a BSc degree in Nursing in order that they may secure employment throughout the Middle East and 'Western world'. All their education ,fees books etc has to be paid for by family members etc no student loans.It's this work and ethic study that this country appears to have lost.Most teenagers over here aspire to be the next swag (Coleen Rooney - from check out girl to £7+ million pa celeb overnight no qualifications necessary) or Pop Idol than study towards a worthwhile and rewarding career. Hence this country's dependancy upon migrant labour.

We can't even employ Brits to undertake the menial of unskilled tasks(see Bob's posting above) never mind asking them to work in hospitals and care homes cleaning arses, caring and looking after our sick and elderly.We need to totally change our education system so as to adapt to todays needs.More vocational training and career directed courses of study fo fulfil these posts rather than letting them leave school unable to read and write.They even need help to fill in their unemployment application and council house forms!!.

It is simply unacceptable to have 2million on benefits and at the same time to be importing labour.

Totally agree. So lets overhaul the benefits system ("yet again!" I hear you cry).In Jersey,not a million miles away from mainland UK,obtaining benefits is very difficult.You must have been employed full time for at least 6 months previously before becoming eligible to apply for any type of benefit and you must give your reasons ,in full, as to why there has been a change in your status.So leaving school and signing on the rock on roll is simply not an option.

Whether employed or not one is still required to pay ones social security (N.I) contributions.So upon leaving school not only do you not receive any dole money you also have to start forking out for your NI stamp. I am not saying that this is the answer but merely highlighting an alternative system.

I discount those coming here to learn, perform roles natives possibly won't be able to, diplomatic missions ex pat workers etc.,

Point taken but " perform roles natives possibly won't be able to do" appears to be expanding and "won't be able" should read "are not willing to do" What incentive is there for anyone to work when by doing so you lose your all your allowances and end up financially 'worse off'. A decent salary for a a decents day work could help alleviate some of these problem areas.

end link