Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Melissa2 wrote:
    Hi Ian,
    Oh that's great to hear. I do remember my Grandmother taking me to another bar which could have been the Golden Lion (there was also a pub off of Maison Dieu Road across from the museum, there was a stuffed polar bear in the doorway?). I was only about 4 years old but I have such vivid memories of this time. After the fire they moved to a flat in Peverell (?) Road and used to use the pub on the Whitfield roundabout, they took me there a couple of times when I was about 14 years old. Ha ha , there is a theme of taking me to bars here but they were very social people. I'm so glad they are remembered for the great characters they were. Thank you so much for your post it means a lot.

Hi Melissa,

Yes the pubs opposite the museum would be the Sir John Falstaff and the Park Inn, both frequented by us all in the 1960s/70s. Nina also worked as a bar maid in several Dover bars including The Merry Dolphin during the mid late 1950s with my late Aunty Vera (Pilcher); they were great friends for many years and both could tell a tale or two regarding life in war time Dover and elsewhere! Dover, during the 1950s through to the late 1970s was a simply great place to live in and enjoy the extensive nightlife in an abundance of pubs, clubs and other venues. We enjoyed so much laughter every evening now sadly all gone - such wonderful memories, such Larks!

end link