Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Ian Handley wrote:
    Hello Mellisa, I remember your grandparents well. A truly lovely couple, Nina always so graceful and John a true gentleman. I have such happy memories spent in their company, particularly in the Golden Lion which we collectively frequented during the 1969s/70s.
    Those of us of a ‘ceratain age’ often speak of ‘Dover Characters’, Nina and John were both that and far more.
    Being able to speak of such wonderful human beings is what life is all about.
    Please allow me to such memories.
    Ian

Hi Ian,
    Oh that's great to hear. I do remember my Grandmother taking me to another bar which could have been the Golden Lion (there was also a pub off of Maison Dieu Road across from the museum, there was a stuffed polar bear in the doorway?). I was only about 4 years old but I have such vivid memories of this time. After the fire they moved to a flat in Peverell (?) Road and used to use the pub on the Whitfield roundabout, they took me there a couple of times when I was about 14 years old. Ha ha , there is a theme of taking me to bars here but they were very social people. I'm so glad they are remembered for the great characters they were. Thank you so much for your post it means a lot.

end link