Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

I see the national debate and hoo-haw on the word Paki has kicked off again...this time on the ever so hot and sweaty but awfully nice Strictly Come Dancing. One of the dancers whos name escapes me for the moment but which I will conjure up later, called his dark skinned partner a Paki. It seems he meant it good naturedly, and used the term when she emerged fully made up to take part with an extra layer of home inflicted tan.

'Jeez you look like a Paki' exclaimed the guy in all relative innocence. His partner dod not take it well and stormed off to sulk and whimper in the shadows...and of course this incident has caused a wide hue and cry...so much so that even oul Bruce Forsyth has been drawn into it on the BBC News and indeed it was featured on Question Time last night.

Of course anyone who has lived and worked in the streets of London will know full well that in the pubs along Old Holborn, in the pubs of the Inns of Chancery, in the drinking dens of old Fleet Street and so on...the word is as common as the proverbial 'pint of bitter' on anyone's lips. At least it used to be in my days up there. As oul Bruce Forsyth has said, we all had nick names based on where we came from and we were all used to it. As these stars all operate and work in London surely they must have heard it before.

But somehow between those times mentioned and now, the tectonic plates of society have shifted, and now that word represents the ultimate horror of all horrors. Its right up there with that other horror 'n*gger' so must henceforth never be used. But when all this changed I dont know. These tectonic plates are a funny old thing...the shift when you least expect it, and almost always when you are not ready for it, and can certainly drop you in it.

end link