Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Hello Everybody,

I don't think St. Monica's was in existence when I lived in Dover. The Convent uniform was indeed brown. The school that was situated at the junction of Salisbury Road and Park Avenue was called
    Claremont. It formed a major part of the Convent. Everything transferred to the other site in 1960
    or just before. The old site was redeveloped.

The complex on the corner of Park Avenue and Castle Avenue was home to the kindergarten and preps' 1,2,3 and 4. The nun's quarters, chapel and offices were also at this site. There was a drive
    leading in to the playground with classrooms on the right and straight ahead. The old building was
    on the left. There was a lawn on the right beside the drive.

The new building in Castle Avenue was the Girls Grammar section. Prep 5 was also in the same building. It opened in 1960 or just before. It closed down when the rest of the school was closed. It became St. Richard's. I assume the Ursuline nuns are still present, I don't think there is any school now. I expect all the teachers and nuns have passed on. I would be interested to know if any of the
    former pupils are still in the area.

There was another order of nuns who were based in Maison Dieu Road. They were known as the "Butterfly Nuns" because of their hats. They were possibly from the order of the "Daughters of Charity." Don't know if they are still there.

end link