Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Brian - dream on.

The LibDems are far from perfect Brian - according to the Sunday Times, there are three of their 60 odd MPs among the 20 worse 'sinners' compared to only 2 Tories (out of 200) and 15 Labour MPs (out of about 350).

Among the 'saints', the 20 with the lowest expense claims, there are 11 Tories, 1 independent and 8 Labour - no Libdems.

By any objective analysis, either statistically or in absolute terms, the Conservative have the best record from that.

Regardless anyway, that does not excuse anyone guilty of expense fiddling and all those who have done wrong should pay the price whatever Party they represent. And that has started to happen. We need the candidate lists for all parties decontaminated by the time of an election and that is now happening. I understand there are some moves afoot in Labour but Conservatives are moving quicker. Dont know whether the LibDems are dealing with their wrongdoers yet.

Douglas Hogg, of the moat fame, is now not standing again at the next election, so although his Association Officers backed him (big mistake, too loyal) I suspect his membership said diffferently and he has decided to go with at least some dignity.

Then also at least another Conservative MP facing de-selection (Anthony Steen I think his name is) and after DC's annoucement yesterday there will be more. Good, we need to clear out the discredited.

Back to this thread:

So the Speaker has resigned and will be gone on the 21st June and the election of another speaker will soon be under way.

Some are suggesting an interim speaker who is untainted by the scandal and who is stepping down at the next election so a new Speaker can be elected from the new House.

Anne Widdecomb is being spoken about....Interesting and sensible move I think.

One PS from the resignation of Martin. Word has it that it was no10 that pushed him. All credit to Brown for that if true but if so he is running the risk that Martin will seek revenge....interesting times.

end link