Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

You'd think so wouldn't you Roger.

But then you'd also think that all high paid employment would be based on ability not what type of school you went to, but it's not.

School's do know talent when they see it, however to push that talent requires time. Obviously in a class of 10, more attention can be spent on each student, as opposed to a class of 30. This time is also increased when extra curricular activities can run in the evening, perfectly suited to boarders.

Additionally State schools have to adhere to the National Curriculum and cutting a part of a prescriptive curriculum to provide extra encouragement is simply impossible, let alone financially or logistically securing extra staffing. OK so the extra staffing may cause a problem in a private school, but as for the National Curriculum Private schools can cut what they like because they don't have to follow it AT ALL!

Let's be clear about this, I'm not saying that Public schools aren't good, because they are, they can afford to be! But they just prove (on the whole) is that it is possible to provide excellent education given the freedom and resources. In a conversation the other day with a good friend who attended public school (and shares my view on this) we talked about our personal exam results, I almost laughed myself silly when she pointed out her average class size was 8, compared to my 28! My point is, much like Bern's, is that good education and opportunity should be available to all, not just those who can afford it.

Of course all this being said, huge numbers of athletes and academically gifted individuals do come from our state schools but perhaps given the same 'privileges' we might find more?

Just to be clear Roger (and sorry if you are already aware) but there is a recurring misconception that we have Comprehensives in Dover, we don't. Only 30% of secondary school age children in the whole of Kent (the biggest local education authority) go to comprehensives, compared to 90% nationally. Another antiquated quirk!

end link