Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Lew Finnis wrote:
    When I lived in Germany (and I imagine it's still the case now) there was a legal duty on homeowners to have the pavement outside their house cleared and gritted by 8 a.m. I felt sorry for the people who lived on the corner and had twice as much to clear as anyone else!

Correct and yes, it's still in place. We lived in Guttersloh and it was strict there in the town. Same in Holland and also Belgium I believe, or it used to be when we were posted there. Makes absolute sense. The elderly and those with disabilities receive help from neighbours. It's also the residents responsibility to keep the pavement swept and the gutter cleared in front of their own house the rest of the year. Brilliant concept. Failing to comply results in an on the spot fine, but the rates are considerably cheaper. Most towns and villages are spotlessly clean, no litter, no dog mess.

end link