Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Now that the dust has settled on the Carnival for another year I want to put the suggestion forward that it should return to its earlier shorter route. It was interesting to note in Rhys's recent feature on carnivals in the Dover Express where he harked back to the big crowds of long ago. Heady days. Probably those days will never return. But just a few years ago I feel there was more excitement generated with the shorter route.

This year along Castle St where Big Dave has the annual party, there was nobody lining the streets. The street was empty...or almost. Yet a few short years ago this street was several people deep. Briony was smaller then and we used to have to search around for a place to see but the atmosphere was great..people all agog waiting for the parade. Not now though. Very few people there.

This is because the Carnival travels to the people now, the people dont travel to the carnival. The second option is the best one. Everything of worth is worth travelling to and people do and will. Everybody a few years back came into town to see the show. Much better in my view.

end link