Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Sid - we do need deregulation but the right deregulation. De-regulated banks was never a suggestion of Mrs T or even John Major. That was entirely Brown's mistake. Note that William did not mention financial but was a more general reference.

Conservatives did increase financials services regulation, its not me saying it, it is a fact of history and I have provided the specific act of Parliament. Look it up if you dont believe me, that along with the later Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 have governed my professional career for 20 years.

In 1990 it was not 'disasterous mismanagement' of the economy so much as a basic error in joining the EMU that tied our hands over interest rates. This resulted in the setting of interest rates to suit Germany and not the UK, leading to inflationary pressures among other problems. Our departure from EMU was the catalyst for a sustained recovery.

The membership of the EMU was a policy that was opposed by Mrs T and her adviser Sir Alan Waters. Virtually the whole of the media, the Labour Party, CBI, TUC, Liberals formed an unholy alliance with pro-Europe Tories to force Mrs T to join it when John Major was Chancellor. So you Labour supporters cannot crow over that as you would have made exactly the same mistake, but worse because of your spendthrift ways.

Right now the Euro is under severe strain with Ireland, Greece and Italy having particular problems as a result making the recessionary pressures worse. Some believe that the Euro could collapse as a result though others believe that so much political kudos has been invested into the Euro project they will keep with it regardless of the damage done to their economies.

We are opposed to Euro entry in principal, Labour are still for it, hence we have learnt our lessons.

end link