Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Lots of info there Ed..many thanks to the man on the spot.

I know quite a few students locally who are considering skiing this winter so dont miss out on the BARGAIN offer above (POST125) from P&O. You can pack your car out for £39... cheap...but drive carefully!

Chris has put up the latest news re the local dredger David Church on the frontpage. Not a terribly exciting vessel and I must admit I have never photographed it until now. But it works hard...here it is as darkness fell last evening, it was working the harbour until the late hours..lights ablaze..

Thats her in the foreground working away, with the Rodin bringing up the rear. They have spent half a million pounds upgrading the dredger so she will last well into the future. Here with a bit below from the press release..

Paul Brown, General Manager Port Operations at the Port of Dover said: "The David Church was specifically designed for operating in the Port of Dover and has been doing a vital job for 17 years now. This unique resource is essential in maintaining the depths of navigable water within the harbour so that all vessels can navigate safely without the risk of grounding. This dredging regime is particularly important to Dover's cruise business as every year the fairway is dredged to cater for the deep draft cruise ships that call at the Port."

The David Church and its dedicated crew of five form a key part of the Port's marine capability. This versatile vessel, built in 1995 by Appledore Ship Builders, has the exceptional ability to both suction and grab dredge as well as being capable of working both in tight confines and within an extremely busy operational environment.

Clearly the dredger works hard keeping the bottom of the harbour as deep as possible so no ships are grounded even slightly. On calm days you can see the silt/sand moving across the harbour. It creates a two tone coloured water. One side of the divide sea, the other side sea and sand. But here's the thing..the line between the two can be a sharp line almost as if drawn by a draughtsman..I will see if i can show it here...must be a scientific explanation for the sharp line but alas i dont know what it is...

Do you see the line there..this side the sand/sea flow. I dont understand all this as I'm just a lowly landlubber but there we are..

Ah!..have just noticed that there is a dredger thread running, didnt see it..so some duplication.
    Just thinking..ermmm it might be an idea to put all the small sea type threads under this Sea News umbrella.
    Many of the items are small but if all compounded together could make a compendium of sea features..food for thought.

end link