Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

I'm not so sure that I agree with you, Ian: multi-cultural Britain causes so many racial issues that I believe we were a better nation with stronger morals before the influx of so many migrants.

It sounds racist, and I assure you that I hold no racist beliefs at all, but I believe that an integrated society in Britain is idealistic - we can live shoulder to shoulder with different faiths, differnt colours and different cultures, but is our neighbourliness founded on strong or false foundations? I see the headline in today's Daily Telegraph is that Britain is believed to be the strongest hub for Al-Qaeda in the West, and that much of the terrorist threat to a Western way of life is from home-grown (ie British) fundamentalists. All of which leads to suspicion between neighbours and friends - how can anyone be sure of another's beliefs or intentions. I have to stress here that I have many Asian friends in Leicester and from my days in London, and in Norway as well; I trust them implicitly and know them to be beyond question. However, can that be true of everyone? The alleged circle of terrorists within the NHS in Staffordshire that was smashed a couple of years ago shook me to the core - my family roots are in Staffordshire, it's an area I know very well and have loved all my life, and I wouldn't have believed anyone from there could be involved in plots to kill innocent people.

For me, it comes down to Martin Luther King's old quote about people being judged not by the colour of their skin but by the content of their character, and these scum bags (as Ian so rightly calls them) tarnish all people of their colour by their actions, unfairly so. There are scum bags in all colours, it boils down to the individual. However, inner cities areas seem to have ghettos that are divided along the lines of colour, and this I believe caused the racial friction that started riots in Toxteth, Tottenham and Brixton in the 80s and that now seems to be the spawning ground for fundamentalist hatred today.

My question from all of this is, therefore, "Is idealism undermining the fabric of our society?". I hope not.

end link