Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

They should do away with all the pomp and expense associated with mayor making and everything our servants in MDH do. The one time I attended mayor making (Neil Rix’s first attempt) there was a string quartet playing in the gallery of the Stone Hall and a free trough (sorry, buffet) laid out in the Connaught Hall where many of the town’s worthies were strutting around giving each other Masonic handshakes. The new Mayor reminded me of nothing more than a huge peacock in his robes and ceremonial hat, greeting friend, foe, councillor and stranger alike with a bewildered and slightly fatuous grin on his face. And to think that most of the people who pay for all this waste have no chance to enjoy it or even know it’s going on.

In my view also, the lavish surroundings of Maison Dieu House should be sold off and the Town Council offices and meetings situated somewhere which is far cheaper. MDH is full of hardly-used space; for a Town Council not to use its own perfectly good Town Hall but to have a separate prestige 17th-Century grade 2*-listed building for its own exclusive use is a vanity which the town can no longer afford and should not have afforded for years. Anyone who has ever owned a listed building can testify to the extra expense of maintaining it compared to more modern accommodation.

At the end of the day, DTC is a parish council that seems to think it should behave as if it were the House of Lords.

Marcus Tullius Cicero once wisely said: ‘The more servants the State employs, the more they imagine themselves to be our masters.’ It seems that little has changed in 2000 years.

end link