Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Re Sues item 71

The possibility of charging for use of toilets should not be dismissed.

My wife was Secretary then Manager of The Charlton Centre until change of ownership in 2006.

A name from the past (Ron Dryden) and her saw the costs of the toilets at the Centre increasing, this was mainly due to high maintenance costs due to vandalism and extra cleaning required.

They introduced paying, and whilst initially unpopular with some, the overall standard of the toilets improved and the maintenance costs reduced by almost 50%. By charging the "druggies" and "Vandalisers" did not use the toilets and positive comments became the norm from users.

My wife also found that for a few days (whilst having new locks fitted) when the toilets were free the filth and vandalism returned.

In Dover Town I feel we must retain toilet facilities. We are hopeful of increasing tourist volumes to the town thus injecting finance to our economy, these tourists will have a poor image of Dover if clean public facilities are not available .

As far as the closure of other toilets. I note Wattys comments and can sympathise with the current financial situation but this should have had public debate and if DTC were not prepared to take on the costs either they or DDC should have called a public meeting as other parish Councils seem to have done in respect of retaining the facility by increasing the Parish precept.

end link