Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Interesting postings on here.

I think some months ago DDC issued press releases and I even wrote on this Forum of the financial pressures being faced.

Howard I believe picked up the original thread very astutely.

JHG implied that DDC were double rating the public by asking the Towns and Parish Council to either make a contribution or take the conveniences.

In reality if they -Towns/Parishes- charged for the service it meant that DDC would remove these amounts from our Budgets and the public would make the same Council Tax contribution in total and keep the services.

In the end you only pay one Council Tax bill however the precepting bodies apportion their sums.

Having gone thru. nearly 3 months of consultations with individual Towns and Parishs; the majority including Deal, Walmer, St Margarets, Kingsdown & Sandwich have indicated they are minded to make contributions towards keeping the services. We await responses from Ash and another rural Parish.

I understand Dover Town Council have indicated that they do not want to make a contirbution -as is their democratic right. I am sure they weighed up public opinion before making this decision i.e "pay a penny to spend a penny".

There were three other toilets discussed. Connaught Park, Stembrook and East Cliff. All of which remain open.

I would be very happy to keep all the loos open and charge you Council Tax accordingly , but government capping decisions preclude us charging you these sums and also require us to remove a minimum of £600k from our budgets this year with more budget restrictions in the next two years. That is why we are sharing services with our neighbouring councils to reduce costs and have implemented a pay freeze since last July.

Ongoing talks continue on tourism services.

I hope this answers the questions in general.

To deal with other innuedoes. I Lead From the front and take responsibility for decisions taken,as do my Cabinet.

Watty

end link