Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Simon Crowley wrote:
    Here is something towards a solution.

The council should provide a "workers" car park, something like the long term car park, but for workers only - at severely reduced rate say, £5 a week (per 7 days) which will also mean that they don't clog up the free parking on Sunday for visitors.

Simon,

Seriously, thanks for your input.

With reference to Sunday parking DDC, in Dover and Deal, are only looking to charge in the immediate vicinity of St James' and Deal High Street. Anything outside this, including the Mon-Sat Single Yellow lines will remain free for all, including 'workers'.

As for your off-centre car park solely for workers I'm not sure where you would put it as each and every one of our car parks is being used by people visiting nearby houses, schools, shops, business, doctors, dentists etc.

Furthermore were workers to be offered parking at your suggested rate (£5 a week) we could say goodbye to car-sharing, use of buses/trains, cycling and even (Heaven forbid!) walking.

In the long run the sensible solution would be ANPR on all car parks (though this has problems with recognising non GB number plates) and vehicle sensors embedded in the road wherever people park + varying parking charges in real-time depending on use. Milton Keynes is heading in the right direction:- https://www.publictechnology.net/articles/features/milton-keynes%E2%80%99-wireless-journey-stress-free-parking

I can assure you that if you have a spare £16 million I will make sure DDC gives it a try locally!

end link