Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Andrew very interesting...but re your last paragraph ...you may have gathered by now that Im Irish and we ourselves have had a fair bit of stick over the years. But an interesting thing happened a few weeks back on BBC TVs Question TIme. The head of British Airways is Willie Walsh and he is very Irish with accent to match. They were dealing with this very subject and a member of the audience asked him if he would be offended if someone called him a Paddy.

To my initial surprise he said he would.. and be very offended. Im as Irish as he is and there we are, I wouldnt be offended by it, as I can assure one and all Ive been called a lot worse. I was hardly off the boat and evryone called me either Pat or Paddy way back then in the non pc Seventies...so I just figured it was the norm. There wasnt any malice in it though as I quickly realised.

My point is though, and Im going round the houses a bit, is that when you talk to ethnic minorities there isnt one answer that applies to all. One guy might not be bothered by the term golliwog where the next one might.

I was glad later though that Willie Walsh said what he did, as it kind of draws a line of boundary for the modern age.

end link