Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Free speech is for everyone or no-one.

You cannot deny it to those with whom you disagree even if they are extremist radicals. Yes, if they are advocating violence, or urging anyone to commit an illegal act, then they are complicit in such crimes and should be dealt with by the law, that cannot be justified.

Whether they are BNP or Communists they have a right to stand for election and to have their say, subject only to the limitation of what I just said and, of course, the laws of libel. Try to ban them from speaking and drive them underground and you will act as recruiting sargeants for them. The best way to defeat them is through democracy, trusting people and through common sense and reason.

Yes - I may disagree with them but I would fight for their right to be heard.

I see today that in Sevenoaks the BNP have taken a Council seat off Labour, apparently it was Labour's safest council seat in Kent and it is the BNP's first win in the South East. The Labour vote simply collapsed to them (the Conservative vote held stable at 25%).

We should be asking why that is, why is it that traditional Labour supporters no longer believe that Labour are speaking for them. Could it be issues such as we are discussing here in this forum. The attempts to condemn the innocent use of words as rascist. Could it be what I warned about earlier, the effect of branding quite ordinary people without a racist bone in their body as rascist because they might like gollys or whatever. A huge gap has developed between the approved 'new Labour' language and what ordinary people use in their daily lives.

Well meaning (or naive) attempts at racial harmony and understanding creating a backlash of resentment.

end link