Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

There have been a lot of good points made on this thread, and quite a variety of views. For BarryW, yes, what Prince Harry said may seem trivial, more so, maybe, given the the context. It's clear, nevertheless, that some people do feel very strongly, maybe also having experienced or seen disadvantageous discrimination by "race".

There are other discriminations too. In case anyone missed my point about the vulgar word, it's not just Ron Atkinson who used it. It's been used on this thread as a pejorative, and yet a poster here has suffered significantly through a related prejudice.

Discrimination and prejudice exist in many ways, and certainly not solely about "race". When reading this thread I can see several examples of other negatively-evaluative discriminations, and at least two occasions where muting has occurred.

It isn't sufficient to decry one form of discrimination yet condone, even perpetuate, another. Discrimination and prejudice are not solely about "race". They're also an attitude of mind. My point about the person who dressed up as that poor kidnapped child is that he was totally lacking at that moment in empathy and understanding, in the idea of walking in another's shoes. From such fundamental lacks are discriminations built.

Prejudice doesn't go away merely because we condemn one form of it, or a particular word (though doing so certainly exposes issues for question and challenge). The roots are far deeper, and discrimination and prejudice can easily shift focus or be used as a tool, perpetuating the harms. It's a tricksy thing, and challenging/condemning prejudice means doing so in all its forms and fundamentals.

end link