Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Well before I rush off I must post this...

I am off to London for a business conference and awards dinner that I attend every year.

No doubt I will reacquaint myself with two people I met in previous years.

Ginge - an ex Para sergeant who has kept his army nickname and yes he has ginger hair though with a touch of grey now.

and

Sandy - his parents fled Iraq 30 years ago when he was a child. Sandy is not his name but a nickname because of his Arab origins.

They introduced themselves to me this way, emphasising their differences, Ross.

No doubt when we are not discussing business issues conversation will turn to this matter and if last year is anything to go by considerable bile and whole bucket loads of contempt will be directed at the pc brigade. So if anyone of the forum finds their ears buring at some point in the next 24 hours....

Really, you know Ross. It is not those who are given such nicknames (which are all about emphasising difference) who usually object but others (the Sooty case emphasises that so clearly). Berns references to history and connotations should be left to theoretical discussions among academics in a university and not introduced to real life.

In fact it seems to me that everyone who has got so up tight about Harry and Sooty should simpy do that, get a life. But then some, like an certain idiot Leicester MP, have a vested interest in claiming rascism and abuse where it does not really exist.

end link