Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Ah no no its a bit premature to want to stop this thread as along with DT I havent had my further say yet. If people want to discuss worthier topics then open up new threads by all means. Thats what we are here for. But this topic is no dafter than a 101 other topics.

Discussing this issue doesnt prohibit discussion of any other issue.

But back to the original topic. I think how you see this is very much to do with age. I draw your attention to 2 significant TV programmes. One the award winning "Life on Mars" the other " Hells Kitchen"

In "Life on Mars" a modern day Police Officer was transferred through a time warp back to the 1970's and was subsequently horrified by the stuff that went on among other police officers. The programme was well researched and totally accurate as we all remember only too well. The leading police officer at the time (DCi Hunt) called everyone of darker hue " a Paki Bastard" and the pogramme portrayed this clearly. Nor were the darker skin types the only ones to get it in the neck. This was normal life. Almost everyone used the term "Paki Bastard" without too much provocation. It wasnt a term of endearment.

Then we get on to Hells Kitchen and that fairly awful Jim Davidson. Jim was stuck in a seventies timewarp of his own and used terms like "Raving Poofter" and was equally horrifying about women too. He wasnt affectionate in these derogatory terms either but positively nasty. His career went into freefall afterwards. Where's Jim now.

Some people as they get older still remain entrenched in the old days. Still kicking in with 1970's values. Bad news. The world has moved on. New generations are running things now and any reference to "Paki Bastards" is not acceptable.

So summing up my ramble. Some pc stuff has been essential so that we adjust society favourably to absorb our new mixture of races and creeds. Anything that seriously offends sections of our own community nowadays is not really on, not if we all want to live in harmony.

This is the reason behind the Prince Harry outcry, even though it might all seem very reasonable to us oul geezers who lived through the 1970's.

end link