Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Just after my post above, I received an email from the KCC Transport Innovations Team that I had emailed on 2nd March about the questionable positioning of the Cherry Tree parklets. They seem to be suggesting that DDC helped them regarding the locations?

I've copied it below:

Thank you for your feedback regarding the parklet scheme in Dover, Kent.

KCC were the lead agency in this project but engaged with local stakeholders including Dover District Council regarding the site locations. Following public feedback, the decision has been made to no longer proceed with the installation of the 5th parklet (proposed for Cherry Tree Avenue); we are currently reviewing the locations for both the 5th parklet and the Castle Street site.

The parklets have been created using sustainably sourced materials and environmentally conscious processes; this can result in more “plain” or “raw” looking structures. The seating has been created using recycled plastic from the sea with the main body being created from sustainably sourced birch plywood. Plants and flowers have been chosen to encourage bees and other pollinators, these however will need time to establish and bloom which will naturally improve the parklet aesthetic.

It has always been our intention to invite local artists, schools and community groups to collaborate with us to create art installations and decorate each parklet. Given the uncertainty we have all been experiencing regarding social restrictions and disruption to day-day working, we had been unable to carry out the community art aspect of the scheme. We intend on proceeding with this phase of the project in line with the government’s COVID-19 recovery plan.

We note there has been concern regarding the funding of parklets over other suggested community improvements. The funding used to deliver this scheme had been allocated to congestion reduction including modal shift (encouraging use of active/sustainable travel methods). Through parklet provision, our intention is to improve the experience of walking and cycling in Dover; improvements in walking and cycling infrastructure have been demonstrated to reduce the number of short duration car journeys.

We value your feedback and will bear this in mind when planning future projects.

end link