Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Captain Haddock wrote:
    Unfortunately the Code de Travail is over 3,324 pages long Ray (some say this is why the French have no equivalent word for entrepreneur) and I'm not sure I have enough time left on this earth to read it, even in translation.

Perhaps you could be more specific?

This is not a case of fire and rehire or even renegotiating terms and conditions of service, and I would seriously like to know how anyone has legislation anywhere which would stop companies behaving like P&O.

It is indeed a huge tome mixing both statutory requirements and good practice guidelines. I wrestled with it several times when I was managing systems development for Eurotunnel because the majority of the technical staff were French. I'd love to quote you chapter and verse but I can't. I was always led by the guidance of the HR departments on both sides of the pond. Wiki French version will tell you everything you might be curious about.

Otherwise, all I can say is trust me. It's a path I have followed too many times before. Or else just ask yourself the simple question - why were no non-UK staff treated similarly? It's been best practice since way back in my Townsend days for cross channel operators to employ native language speakers (usually in the purser's office, for obvious reasons). They have always been contracted under their own country's terms of employment.

end link