Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Well Im staggered about the scale of this issue...Roger has now been contacted re the joke by none other than David Cameron's office...which of course is quite a shock to all of us for it to reach national proportions.

Obviously Roger is one of our star contributors, and one of Dover's best communicators, so it does seem some kind of sacrilege for him to have to stop communicating.

Our editorial policy is roughly this...

We are sensitive about stuff that goes on our frontpage because it reaches a wider audience, an audience that may not participate on Doverforum everyday, so would probably be unaware of the various tongue in cheek personalities contributing and what we say and how we say it..

On the Forum we get away with a bit more but of course still are sensitive to issues of race and so on, and we have never had any trouble. Ive never had to delete anything because of race.

Ther jokes page is much more loosely controlled because Im aware that they are just jokes. I mean much of it could be construed as mildly offensive but isnt that the nature of jokes these days. There are some jewish jokes, irish jokes, sexual innuendo jokes...things you of course couldnt get away with saying straight, or saying them straight on our frontpage for example. Thats always been the policy and indeed we have never had any problems..although there have been a couple of complaints before about some sex content, but thats over the space of a long period of time.

Roger has asked me now to take the joke down following pressure. Let me see what the next move is...at this point we will have to examine the position a bit further.

We certainly do NOT want Roger to quit posting as his communications are so valuable. More enthusiasm for Dover you cannot find in any one person.

end link