Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

For those who haven't read the article, here it is in full - from the Sun web-site:

By NEIL SYSON

Published: 14 Nov 2008

A CONMAN was wined and dined by councillors after convincing them he was Status Quo rock legend Francis Rossi.
    He promised Dover Town Council he would perform free at their festival.

He said "pals" Brian May of Queen, Sir Paul McCartney and Charlotte Church would be there.

For a year he was treated to rides in the Mayor's limousine, slap-up meals and even a VIP opening of Dover Castle in Kent.

He even called himself Graham, saying it was an alias to remain incognito.

The trickster first duped Councillor Vic Matcham, 67, who later lost his seat on the council.

"Graham" always had an answer when questioned.

Asked why Rossi's trademark ponytail was missing, he said: "I can't grow my hair long any more. A fake one is stuck on three hours before a gig."

When asked to play Quo's hit Rockin' All Over The World on guitar he said he had arthritis — but sang it.

But he was rumbled after his star "friends" didn't turn up for the gig.

The conman then fled the town.

The real Rossi, 59 — whose hits also include Whatever You Want — joked last night: "I'll never know how he knew the secret about my ponytail."

n.syson@the-sun.co.uk

Roger

end link