Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

As per several suggestions I have been trying Ubuntu (Version 9.04) and it appears to be fairly stable. It was even a doddle to set it up to dual-boot with Vista! More to the point, perhaps, it was also fairly easy to uninstall. The only real problem I had was persuading Ubuntu to configure two displays! While I did get it working after a fashion it wouldn't let me set each screen resolution quite as high as I am used to - probably a driver problem. I'm not entirely sure it liked my quad-core processor either!

One of the best things about it, though, is that you can actually test it out without installing it as the distro is a Live-CD; in other words you can boot into Linux from the CD and play with it that way.

Right now I could not go over to Ubuntu full time as there are too many things that I couldn't do with it, at least not without taking a lot of time over it; time that I don't have at the moment. There are several software packages I use that do not have an equivelent for Linux - a specific accounting package for example.

Still, I would recommend giving it a look if you have the time.

end link