Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Dear Sue,

Many thanks for your prompt reply. The construction of the cafe was of course some 15 years ago and as to the £500k pier 'makeover' i.e. resurfacing, I was involved in it as a District Councillor, including taking the previous 'tenant' to the High Court for arrears (you don't know the half of it!) and his replacement by the present operator.

I'm seriously wondering whether we might get the successful TV Drama 'The Pier' remade by the same company which did the four parter on the Post Office Scandal with Toby Jones leaping out of the Pier Attendant's office to shout 'I thought I told you no scooters'!

Fortunately Deal has had very little 'improvement' foisted on it by either DTC or DDC over the past 4 decades plus I've lived here, which is why it keeps on appearing in the quality papers as an ideal place to live with a thriving High Street (nationally High Street vacancies increased to 13.9%in Q2 of 2023 - in Deal vacant retail premises are like hen's teeth).

A half-decent sports centre for Deal would however be a useful addition to Deal - as Dover spaffs our money on yet more half baked schemes.

I know that DDC will claim that a lot of the money being spent in Dover came from Government funding (such as the £22.9 million grant from Homes England scandalously awarded to Dover District Council through the Housing Infrastructure Fund for the Fastrack Electric Bus !) but since the government's only money is that taken in national taxes rather than local taxes that is neither here nor there.

It's all come out of our pockets and people in Deal are not getting much back for our spending.

You say that a further report is due to be presented to Cabinet in the next few weeks.

I trust that it will be giving the go-ahead for a proper replacement swimming pool which will be 'fully funded' in the 24/25 budget.

I look forward to hearing of further developments.

Best wishes

Haddock (Capt Retd)

p.s. I'm dead serious about the Ground Sourced Heat Pumps - some of us did a course in Thermodynamics at Uni once upon a time.

end link