Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Like Bern, I'm not a supporter of this law, but I have to say that I do think the thought processes that may have gone into creating the law are worth considering.

Doesn't it come into the bracket of respect? Sure, you might hold beliefs that may be entirely secular, but that doesn't mean others do...........I know of people, some of whom are friends, to whom even the mildest 'Oh Jeez....' is offensive. I ought to add here that I'm no evangelist myself, but my religious views are my own opinion and I try to keep them close to lest others might take offence for fear that I might be preaching. I thus believe that it works both ways, and that I have to be mindful that what I say might be considered blasphemous by others who hold stronger religious views than I. If this new blasphemy law makes people consider what they're about to say before they open their traps, then it's no bad thing.

One thing that strikes me as impossible, though, is policing this; unless the letter of the law is applied equally, it will inevitably fail - and just how the Garda are supposed to apply this law equally to all Irish citizens is difficult to see.

end link