Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Next morning feeling some what better I was taken to the mess hall for a meal, then it was back to the medical hut, the RAF lad there was very helpfull and we got on well with each other and when the R.A.F. DR turned up he took me to meet him.He told me the set up and explained to me that life on the island was not a easy one,and on Sundays the whole Island closed down to the open world The pubs and cafe and the picture house and shops were not open the only place open was the church. The army could not do any firing or exercise,s you was not allowed to do anything only eat and sleep and the radio on.It was not the kind of posting if you liked the night life,unless it was bird watching.
    Not much more to add to this part of my life story, only thing that happen when I was out there is a civilian went missing while out bird watching on the ciff ,sad thing he was found dead at the bottom of a cliff next day.The R,A,F, had a team out looking for him and it was them who found the body.Where I was in the med/hut I could see women out digging up the peat from the fields it was a hard life for the public living out there,the weather was bad all the time I was there,and when it was time to come back to the main land I was looking forward to getting off the Island ,but then things went wrong for me the R.A.F. orderly was taken unwell and had to be taken off the Island and the R.A.F could not get replacement out for two weeks ,so my regiment went back ,and I had to stay there till a R.A,F REPLACEMENT could come out,so I was running the centre on my own for two weeks

end link