Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

As I was crawling my way out of the very cold water,I heard the R.S.M. shout "Matcham where is your weapon."It had come off my shoulder into the sea .But as luck would have it,I put my hand back into the water could not see the the bottom but thank goodness put my hand a round my gun,on getting up on the beach, I remembered not seeing the Dr or priest,looking round I saw the priest sitting on the beach, and the Dr looked like a beach Whale lying down .The very good thing was by now the bigger craft had come in near us and the first vehicle off was our landrover,must say we had a great chap as the driver we could tell he was a old hand at doing all this.Well we got in it very wet and cold and drove off the beach.Our driver had all ready worked out on the map where we was to set up the Medical centre on the plain.We had to get a move on it would be dark within two hours,On setting up both the tents,our driver had thought of everything even down to a blow heater and a large bottle of gas ,also jerry cans of water and fuel all labelled up, so the two officers dried off first, and we made up their camp beds for them.When we was doing this ,I got my own back on the Dr for shouting at me when on the landing craft, telling me to jump before the skipper told us to.
    What I done was made the Dr a French bed that was double over his sheet so when he got in and pushed his legs down he could only go down half way because the sheet was double over The driver had also brought lots of 24hr ration pks so we had a lot of food.He also set up the radio and took the trailer off and got the stretchers out and fixed ready in the back of the land rover ready for the off in the morning.

end link