Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Got up in morning had some kippers but they had bones in them, that makes it HARD TO EAT but they were nice with rolls and butter cup of army tea,we were wearing combat gear , I had to have a my small kit on my back also carrying a first aid kit round my neck and my weapon which was a sterling light machine gun over my arm the Dr had a revolver and the priest a BIBLE sorry last part was a joke,I think )the weather was cold but waves were only about 3ft high and it was raining but not a lot and the good thing was the wind was very light,so we took up our place,s in the landing craft the skipper was telling us again the do,s and don,t on what to do,well we lift Poole and headed towards Salisbury Plains I do not know how long we was in that landing craft but it seem like hrs , but the time came the Skipper shouted get ready we are going in and remember to wait till we say jump and then jump out from the side away from the craft when we drop the front down do not forget we do not know the depth of the water when you jump and we will still be going forward.carry you weapons above your head where possible well I was the first to jump from the left side,so they dropped the front down ,"And the dr called out jump matcham" so out I jumped and the landing craft just missed dragging me under, I was nearly up to my neck in the water and I tried walking towards the beach,but a wave come up from nowhere and it went over my head,but worse then that was my sterling gun had got knocked out of my hands.

end link