Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

well only a few days till the Christmas brake, and I was given some very light duty,s to carry out not much more I could do with only one hand,so went back to see the Dr just before I was going home for Christmas, told the plaster will stay on till I come back in the new year,I think that was 1962.Had a good time at home and reported back in the new year , after a few days the whole of the regiment had to parade on the square one morning at 0800hrs where we was told by the R,S,M .a Mr Parker who was not a very nice person .We were told the CO of the regiment will be talking to us in about 10mins,Well they brought out the box he was to stand on to say what he had to.We was ordered to stand to attention when he came a long and it was very cold that morning" stand at ease men, I will not keep you long,it is just to tell you that this year the regiment will be the fire battalion, that means we are on stand by 24/7 in case there are problems anywhere in the world we will be the very first to go in.So that means there will be only a small amount of leave taken and some of you it will mean none at all.The regiment is down in numbers because of the last of the N/S/men and the 3 year men have gone.The numbers will be made up by me from other regiments in the home counties our number must go up around the 1200mark,also it means some of you will be given new jobs to do which might mean promotion with pay to you,the men picked out for the new positions will be told by their company over the next few days ,you all will be given a new badge to sew on your uniform showing that we are fire Battalion.And the last thing is be very careful what you put in letters send home,you must not put where we are if we are send away etc on any exercise or action service ,for the whole year you must wear what we call dog colors which have your name rank only on them.So if you are found unconscious or dead when on active service you can be tryst .

end link