Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Thank you for that I did not know that.
    Well we had spot lights moving round the bandstand we had coloured lights on .It was great.
    And we got to the battle parts ,the coloured lights were flashing on and off the spot lights were picking out sections of the bands and all the fireworks were going off as cannon fire But, But BECAUSE I HAD NOT FOLLOWED THE PLAN and had put the rockets to far back and lower behind the bandstand, if I had put them where I should have the rockets would have gone up over us ,BUT THAT DID NOT HAPPEN THEY ENDED UP COMING DOWN ON TO THE BANDSTAND. .
    One even started a small fire at the back , we was all trying to get out of the way and play at the same time the cloud of smoke was so thick we could not see Col Mcbain conducting the bands some of the rockets shot into the trees that run down the sides of the bandstand ,and last of all there was men at the back of the bandstand putting out the fire which was making more smoke. but the show must go on ,and it did right to the end. The public thinking it was all part of the battle ,they were standing up capping shouting out for more and smoke was still coming up at the end.Mr Mcbain had to come off the rostrum only to return because of the amount the public was capping at the last time he put his hands up and pointed to band showing us how pleased he and the public was of the concert.
    What a night it had turned out for me.I was told later on that the Queen Mother not knowing about what had happen turned to R,S,M as she left the stage and said ."That was a very good appearance of a battle and to thank the band and the conductors for a good night of music.
    I was feeling very good with myself as I return to the cookhouse for our meal.I was stopped on the way by a sgt, who told me to report to the RSM office at 0900hrs in the morning.
    Was I about to get made up to a cpl at last,or was I going to get a big thank you.
    You will have to wait and see.

end link