Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Old saying"every dog has his day"
    Before I carry on .
    Mr Sharp was a great musician and very skilled clarinet player but he also could play most any instrument in the band and very skilled.He was taking one rehearsal and the bass section could not do it the way he wanted it played .He stopped the band playing .and asked the bass section why they were not playing it in the way he asked.? The Student bandmaster who was the leading player of the section said to Mr Sharp."I am sorry Sir it cannot be played that way." Mr Sharp walked over to the bass section took a bass of one of the bandsman and played the part himself,then turn to the whole section and said"If I can play it being a clarinet player ,you can to"
    Thats the kind of man he was ,he was the best there was.
    I used to get the International Military Music Society newsletter (Still going today)
    He was on the front cover saying at the age of 76 Col Sharp was returning to Kneller to conduct the Band at its 150year anniversary and it also had a photo of him ,it went on to say he was the best Bandmaster and conductor the army have ever had in it history.
    Having read that it made me feel good knowing that I had been part of that history even knowing we did not get along with each other.There will never again be one like him and he died in 2012.
    By now I was in pain most of the time with my legs and back.
    Anyway going back now to that very first outdoor full band rehearsal on the big big bandstand.As I already said we had march down and took up our places on the bandstand.
    And because I was a Ef Clarinet player ,I was right down in the front of the bandmasters Rostrum (Platform) that is where the conductor got up onto to lead the band.

end link