Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

I dont know about the current letter referred to above as havent seen it as yet...but very recently I spoke to a chap who saw me in the town photographing the dilapidated shops, Ive used the pictures on here and many of you will have seen them, but this chap was interested in what I was doing. I told him I was from doverforum and I was just doing a story about our gradually failing businesses.

He told me his mother still lives here and he comes back to visit not very often but he likes to come back. And everytime he does so is appalled by the worsening degradation. He told me of times past when he was very young and living here. He told me a bomb in WWII hit such and such a site near the underpass and the house has never been rebuilt. He told me of the fire across the road from the bombsite and thats never been rebuilt either.

He told me when once upon a time he enjoyed shop A or shop B that used to be on such and such a corner..well you can catch the drift.

For people who live here day after day, the erosion to facilities passes by almost un-noticed...til one day you wake up and its all gone. But for returning Dovorians it can be quite a shock.

So some times the Dover bashing, if thats the right term, is done from a painful heart, that once remembers what it used to be like.

end link