Dover.uk.com
If this post contains material that is offensive, inappropriate, illegal, or is a personal attack towards yourself, please report it using the form at the end of this page.

All reported posts will be reviewed by a moderator.
  • The post you are reporting:

Ah shame re Michael Foot, sadly it comes to us all. I lived in London during his best days and he was truly a heroic barnstorming speaker, a speaker of the old school and a voice for the underprivileged. The earth moved when you heard him speak. He wasnt a politician for the modern age and had in some ways outlived his era by the time he reached the top of the Labour tree, but a great intellect.

I think he was the last of the great speakers. I havent heard anyone since with such power. As has been proved since by Tony Blair and others..what's needed these days more than anything else is telegenics.

But it is interesting to reflect on the power of speech and how it has been used in the past. It was the premier tool of the old time politician, practised brilliantly to good effect by some and to ghastly effect by others. Possibly the greatest public speaker of all time was Hitler, but while his speech making may have rallied his own nation to ecstatic frenzy, it didnt turned out so well for everyone else.

end link